Do you ever feel different from others and how you view the world?
Are you aware of or have a growing suspicion that your uniqueness might be a true neurodivergence?
Have you encountered difficulties in your life because of how you think, function, and relate to others?
You do not have to mask your symptoms with us. We are here to accept you as you are. We also know that when left untreated, neurodiversity often results in anxiety, depression or other impacts to your mental health. Let’s work together to discover the genuine you and improve your quality of living.
When you come to Bricolage Wellness and work with our compassionate and caring clinicians, you will:
- Be given the space to talk openly without judgment, feel a sense of belonging in our office, and be seen as an individual with unique experiences and needs
- Learn how to celebrate your uniqueness and apply it as a strength in your life and celebrate differences, recognizing how they can help you take the next steps toward living in line with your values
- Be supported and guided as you advocate for yourself in the world and have someone available who is understanding of how you see things
- Process through emotions experienced while learning about a new diagnosis or acknowledging “what might have been…”
- Process through adversities you have experienced in life with multi-dimensional levels of support
- Learn new adaptive skills and ways of thinking to support and celebrate your best self to overcome perceived barriers to unlock your potential and set new goals
- Address new life transitions or situations with support for how to conceptualize, plan and implement new systems that work best for you
- Identify your unique self without a label that might have been associated with your personality
Beyond this, we offer support and guidance for parents and caregivers of a child with neurodivergence.
Being a parent of any child is not for the faint of heart. They are the most precious person to you and we know you want the best for them. But sometimes the typical parenting books and advice columns don’t quite grasp the needs and challenges you have raising your neurodivergent child. You need to feel seen and understood, just as your child wants to. And we can make sure that happens! Working with a Bricolage therapist who has the experience and tools to ensure you are in good hands, you have the potential to:
- Gain confidence in parenting your child
- Increase your healthy bond with your child
- Process through emotional discomforts without judgment as you navigate a child-rearing journey you weren’t quite planning on
- Develop your advocacy skills for your child and celebrate victories
- Explore connections and resources within your community as a parent with a neurodivergent child
- Accept and understand their challenges and strengths
- Learn how to meet your own needs more effectively and frequently
- Regulate your own emotions better so you can help your child with theirs
We can even support those in relationships where neurodiversity is present.
Relationships can be tricky between any two people, and when those partners meet at an intersection of neurotypical and neurodiverse, this can introduce a new set of challenges and opportunities not commonly discussed. There can be much to learn, which sometimes sounds like “OH! That’s why they do it this way, that makes so much more sense to me now!” or “So it’s not me, it’s just how they are functioning in the world. Wow, now I can figure out how to support them and create space for both of us in this relationship.”
Learning can result in:
- Understanding your partner’s way of functioning in this world more clearly
- Accepting that their behaviors are not personal toward you and growing your relationship beyond this emotional deterrent
- Connecting with your partner more intimately because of this deeper understanding
- Identifying that your values are more aligned than you might have thought
- Planning next steps with improved consideration for both partner’s needs
- Enhanced empathy between you and your partner
- Enhanced fluency of the “language” used by your partner
Think of this type of work as a special kind of translation and emotional processing so that you can become much more intimate in your understanding of each other. Ready to gain support, skills and celebration of who you truly are? Our therapists are excited to learn more about your view of the world and how they can help you accept or navigate it to better suit your needs.
Find out more about how these support services can benefit you by scheduling a free 15-minute consultation.
Also, check out our Groups Page (link to groups) to find out more about some of the group offerings we have to help support neurodivergent folks!
Please note, this article was written by a neurodivergent therapist with the aid of supportive skills and tools, including the Pomodoro Method, body doubling, Focusmate.com, and externalized time management.